To Groucho Marx, who said: 'Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read', we say,
"Groucho, get an audiobook"
We, Jayashree and Jai started our journey making audiobooks
almost on a whim. Like millions of others, we had been processing
transactions, loans, evaluating risks for about 15 years, when we
decided India was far too exciting to keep doing this. So we looked
around, and one thing that struck us was how we were reading so
much lesser than we used to.
The rigors of a day commuting in growing traffic, 10-12 hours of
work, and taking care of domestic chores means that there is no
time left for reading. Besides, having read emails, and reports and
presentations all day, the reading part of the brain is not always
ready to play ball at the end of a day.
Evenings out means more time in traffic. And travel on vacation or
work equals time spent at airports and in planes. Where typically,
the sites on offer were more engaging than looking at a book.
Indian book publishing is at an all time high; there is just so much
more to read out there. Successful Indian business people are
spilling their secrets. Our great Indian myths and texts are being
written in more interesting ways. And quite honestly Chetan Bhagat
has inspired so many young authors to tell their story, which is
really at some level our own. Ravin and Khushi just touch the heart
far more than Oliver and Jenny. And there is the draw to once again
savour the pleasures of the old favorites: Sherlock Holmes, Alice,
Little Women, Tom Sawyer.... and so many many more.
So we wondered, 'can we liven up our commutes, chores and wait-
times with a story or with some 'reading'?'
What if we used the hours spent in mindlessly commuting and
waiting at airports, flights, doctors' waiting rooms to 'read'. What if
someone read the books to us while we were doing this. That
sounded like a great idea. Just like having our mother,
grandmother, grandfather read stories to us all over again. And it
was certainly much better than hearing about Munni's jawani and
Sheela getting a bad name for the 40th time in a week.
We also discovered friends and friends' friends who were listening
to books while exercising. The focus was on the unputdownable
book now, and not one how many laps / kilometres had been
completed. Getting fit suddenly became a lot more enjoyable.
As we later discovered, listening to an audiobook during the
commute is not only a great way to catch up on reading, it is also
And since it was about listening, we did not just have to do books in
English... Some how in the rush to be more competitive, so many of
us have not bothered to learn our mother tongue. Certainly not
enough to read a book. But we can certainly understand a story
read to us in our mother tongue. And what a treasure it is.
For Jayashree, who grew up in Kolkata, experiencing the beauty of
Tagore or Sunilda being narrated in their original Bengali was so
much better than reading the translations. During the recordings
with Ranjonda and Rinkudi, there was never a dry eye when stories
like Noshto need, Kauliwallah, Streer potro were being read, and
Kakababu always had them in splits.
As we thought about it, and recorded a few samples, we realised
that we were just opening door after door of possible opportunities.
Everybody was enjoying listening to a book. Commutes were less
stressful, enjoyable even. Workouts did not seem never ending. And
even people who did not like to 'read' certainly enjoyed listening to
story .... who doesn't.
If there is something of your own experience, you would like to
share.... drop us a line, or even better, share it on facebook
Audiobooks have their challenges of course.
A 200 page book can be about 6-7 hours in length. We figured a
way to it in a single disc that plays on any CD player at home or in
a car. You can of course just move the whole thing into your phone
/ iPod. You move songs, right? But how do you remember where
you last stopped? There are no bookmarks in an MP3 file.
So we break up the content into 10 minute long tracks. So you can
just forward tracks to the point in the story where you last stopped.
And if you have an iPod or iPhone or iPad, you can use the M4B
format which is also available on the CD or in the download. This is
an audiobook format. It supports 'bookmarking', so it remembers
where you last stopped listening. For as many books as you have in
your Apple machine. And supports several other features. We
strongly recommend using that if you are an iPod user.
Storytelling is back....just listen
, B.Ed. student and homemaker
Listens to audiobooks while copying notes and doing household chores. Makes routine tasks more interesting.
Writing / copying notes is such a boring job. I am sure everyone will agree with me. And to do it one doesn't need to really concentrate on that job. So, basically the mind is free to wander. In my case, my mind was occupied listening to the audiobook - "I too have a love story".... so now I listen to audiobooks whenever I am doing any work which doesn't need my complete attention... like cooking, cleaning around the house, and of course, the most boring job of all - writing notes!!!
Urban professional & marathon runner
Listens to audiobooks while running. Helps him run longer
It was a great experience running listening to the audio book.... Running is an individual sport where you are all on your own.....The audio book acted as a companion to me and made my running more pleasurable..My focus was more on finishing the audiobook than on how many more kms I had remaining to complete my marathon...
Listens to audiobooks while commuting to work
I listen to all kinds of audio books - from the latest fiction to motivational / self help and spiritual audio books. I intend to also start listening to Bengali audio books as soon as they are available in the market as it will give me an opportunity to reconnect with my heritage. I listen to audio books mostly on my commute to and fro from work. It provided me with 90 minutes everyday of wonderful productive time which earlier I used to spend by just listening to FM. The other upside of this is that Bangalore traffic has ceased to bother me.
Some of the latest books that I have heard are "Autobiography of a Yogi" , "Good to Great", "Magical Mind, Magical Body", and "Sherlock Holmes stories".
Back to Checkout
Terms & Conditions
Shipping & Delivery Policy
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Terms & Conditions
The term 'Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd.' or 'us' or 'we' refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is H302, Shriram Spurthi, #132 AECS Layout, Kundalahalli, Bangalore 560037. Our company registration number is U22100KA2010PTC054542 (2010-11), Bangalore, Karnataka. The term 'you' refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd.'s prior written consent.
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of India or other regulatory authority.
- All content included on this Site, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations, software, and Content, is the property of Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd or its content suppliers and protected by Indian and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content on this Site is the exclusive property of Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd and protected by Indian and international copyright laws. All software used on this Site is the property of Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd or its software suppliers and protected by Indian and international copyright laws.
- Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd grants you a limited license to access and make personal use of this Site and not to download (other than page caching) or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this Site or its contents; any collection and use of any product listings, descriptions, or prices; any derivative use of this Site or its contents; any downloading or copying of account information for the benefit of another merchant; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. This Site or any portion of this Site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of Audible. You may not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of Audible without express written consent. You may not use any meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd's name or trademarks without the express written consent of Audible. Any unauthorized use terminates the permission or license granted by Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. You are granted a limited, revocable, and nonexclusive right to create a hyperlink to the home page of www.bookstalk.in so long as the link does not portray Audible, or its products or services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive matter. You may not use any Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd logo or other proprietary graphic or trademark as part of the link without express written permission.
Shipping & Delivery Policy
Shipping & Delivery Policy (Products)
All physical audiobooks are shipped and delivered by Flipkart.com. And the shpping and delivery policies specified at that site would govern the purchase, shipment and delivery of the products.
Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. Bears no liability in this regard.
Shipping & Delivery Policy (Services)
Delivery of our services will be confirmed on your mail ID as specified during registration and/ or purchase. For any issues in utilizing our services you may contact our helpdesk on 98453-08838 or email us on email@example.com
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Cancellation & Refund Policy – Physical Audiobooks
All physical audiobooks are shipped and delivered by Flipkart.com. And the cancellation and refund policies specified at Flipkart.com would be applicable to all purchases of physical audiobooks initiated at www.bookstalk.in.
Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. Bears no liability in this regard.
Cancellation Policy – Downloadable Audiobooks
Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. believes in helping its customers as far as possible, and has therefore a liberal cancellation policy. Under this policy:
- Cancellations will be considered only if the request is made within 24 hours of placing an order. However, the cancellation request will not be entertained if the audiobook has already been downloaded subsequent to the purchase of such downloadable audiobook, as per reporting and tracking systems used Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. for such purpose.
- · In case you feel that the product received is not as shown on the site or as per your expectations or is defective, you must bring it to the notice of our customer service within 24 hours of receiving the product by calling on 98453-08838 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Customer Service Team after looking into your complaint will take an appropriate decision.
When you buy our audiobooks download, your purchase is covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are, for any reason, not entirely happy with your purchase, we will cheerfully issue a full refund. We produce and sell audiobooks that we use ourselves every day and have satisfied customers, and our support is second to none. That is why we can afford to back our products with this special guarantee. To request a refund, simply contact us with your purchase details within thirty (30) days of your purchase. Please include your order number (sent to you via email after ordering) and optionally tell us why you're requesting a refund – we take customer feedback very seriously and use it to constantly improve our products and quality of service. Refunds will be processed within 21 business days of valid request of such refund.
Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 15 March 2011.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email and postal address, and phone number
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
: Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd.
: H302 Shriram Spurthi, #132 AECS Layout Kundalahalli, Bangalore 560034
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd.. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, Bookstalk Audiobooks Pvt. Ltd. takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.